Q. 55.0( 3 Votes )
Explain about Bhakra Nangal Project.
The Bhakra Nangal Project is the biggest multi-purpose project in India.
1. This project is named after the construction of two dams, one Bhakra, and the other one Nangal, across the river Sutlej in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
2. The construction of this dam was started in 1948 and was completed in 1963.
3. This major multi-purpose project also comprises of the construction of the Nangal Hydel powerhouse and two more powerhouses in Ganguwal and Kotla.
4. The Bhakra and Nangal dams are built in Ambala district of Punjab.
5. The Bhakra dam which is 518.16 metres long and 167.64 metres high is the biggest straight positioned dam in the world.
6. The Nangal dam is built 13 km below the Bhakra dam.
7. Canals like Bhakra, Sirhind, Nangal, Bist Doab and Narwana were also dug out.
8. This project also helps in the generation of electricity.
Thus, the Bhakra Nangal project helps in the supply of water for irrigation and drinking purpose to the areas that lie between the Sutlej and Yamuna rivers.
Rate this question :
Describe any two projects operated by the government of India.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Which is a longest man-made canal of India?Rajasthan Board Social Science
What is meant by Bairaj?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Which is the longest dam in India?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the different form of water conservation in Rajasthan.Rajasthan Board Social Science
What are stepwells? Explain.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain about Bhakra Nangal Project.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the Indira Gandhi Canal Project of Rajasthan?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the Mukhyamantri Jal Swavlamban Abhiyan.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Which projects are operated by central and state governments?Rajasthan Board Social Science