Q. 155.0( 3 Votes )
Examine Tidal energy and Geothermal energy as sources of energy for the future.
Tidal energy and geothermal energy are non -conventional sources of energy as they have not been used on a large scale from a long time.
Tidal energy :
1. Power generated from the tides and open ocean currents. Floodgate dams are built across inlets. 2. During high tide water flows into the inlet and gets trapped when the gate is closed.
3. After the tide falls outside the flood gate, the water retained by the floodgate flows back to the sea via a pipe that carries it through a power-generating turbine.
4. The energy that is generated and stored in the earth is called geothermal energy. It is mostly used for electricity production and is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly energy source.
1. The geothermal energy is sourced not only from the original formation of the planet but also from the radioactive decay of materials.
2. With increasing depth, the internal temperature of the earth keeps increasing.
3. The difference in temperature between the core and the surface or the geothermal gradient drives a continuous conduction of thermal energy.
4. In areas of shallow depth, this thermal energy is often absorbed by the surrounding groundwater and rocks and often rises as steam.
5. This steam power is then used for the generation of electricity. Thus, areas near plate tectonic boundaries which often have hot springs or weaker surface cover are often tapped for sourcing geothermal energy.
Both these energy sources produce almost no pollution and is a renewable energy source. But there is a need a lot of research to make them commercially viable and available for the general masses. Even if these sources are not major players in the energy production scenario, they have great potential for future use as they are based on the inexhaustible gravitational forces of the earth.
Rate this question :
Where is an experimental geothermal energy project located in India?Together With Social Science
What is open pit mining?All In One - Geography
“There is an urgent need to develop a sustainable path of energy development.” Give two broad measures for it. As concerned citizens, how can you help conserve energy?
How is energy a basic requirement for the economic development of the country? Explain with examples.Social Science - Board Papers