The Indian social structure is largely influenced by the caste system. It has deeply affected the economic, social and mainly the political conditions in our country. Although it has reduced in the social and economic areas, it has increased over time in the political field, especially after India gained Independence.
The impact of the caste system on the Indian democratic system can be described in the following ways :
1. Impact of caste during the selection of a leader: Every person is born with a caste. Either he has a High caste or a Schedule Caste. Naturally, he is bent towards the members of his own caste. He begins his socialization with the same cast members. Gradually, he is bent towards the members of his own caste. So, during the time of selection of a leader he chooses one from his own caste. It is observed that the people vote for the candidates from their own caste for leadership.
2. Caste as a dividing force: Caste often leads to the creation of different interest groups. These groups then compete among each other for power. Even if there are just 2 or 3 groups, it often creates a source of tension.
3. Caste as a unifying force: Caste can also be a unifying force among a group. In rural India, where the rural power is limited to just 15 to 20 km, the caste system is a sign of unity.
4. Reservation system: The Indian Constitution has a reserved caste system for Schedule Caste, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes. This has led to the emergence of many pro-reservation and groups.
5. Caste and decision making: The decision makers of the country have to make a careful evaluation during decision making. This is done to avoid the concentration of a particular caste in a particular state.
6. Caste and Local government: The caste system often proves to be an obstacle for the smooth working of the Panchayat in the rural areas.
The caste system often leads to violent clashes among the different groups, even on a trivial issue. It violates the principles of equality and justice. It has led to an atmosphere of destruction and fear in society.
The government must take certain steps to reduce the negative impact of the caste system. All the political leaders must discourage such systems and promote harmony among all. The caste system should not divide the country into different segments; rather it should be a unifying force on the whole.
Rate this question :
Examine the impacTogether With Social Science
Describe any threSocial Science - Board Papers
Prove by giving eTogether With Social Science
“Politics based oFull Marks - Social Science
What is casteism?Together With Social Science
How caste stronglFull Marks - Social Science
Suggest any threeAll In One - Political Science
‘’The rigid casteAll In One - Political Science