Q. 214.5( 8 Votes )
Enumerate the causes of Green Revolution.
During, 1970's when India was facing a huge shortage of food, the Green revolution evolved for the sake of farmers. But the revolution left both positive and negative impacts.
The positive impact of the Green Revolution –
1. India became self-sufficient in food production and thus do not had to rely much on import.
2. it increased income, and prosperity of farmers.
3. Increased yield and production
4. Improved in the mechanization of farms
5. Developed ancillary industries such as tractor repair shops, the building of electricity and road infrastructure in villages.
6. Most important was the spread of green revolution slowly to all parts of India.
But, the Green revolution came with a price. It has following side effects –
1. Land degradation, salination of land due to excessive irrigation
2. Increased the input cost to farming, thus badly affecting small farmers, who fell into debt trap due to the high cost of seeds, fertilizers, and pesticides. decrease in the ground-water table.
Rate this question :