Q. 64.5( 13 Votes )
Enumerate some of the malpractices resorted to by PDS.
The Public Distribution System has proved to be the most effective instrument of government policy . But PDS has also faced a number of severe criticisms as well on several grounds.
● Hunger instances are prevalent despite overflowing granaries
● FCI go downs are overflowing with grains with some rotting away and some being eaten by rats.
Rate this question :
Visit your area's ration shop and get the following details:
1. When does the ration shop open?
2. What are the items sold at the ration shop?
3. Compare the prices of rice and sugar from the ration shop with the prices at any other grocery shop. (For families below poverty line)
4. Find out
(a) Do you have a ration card?
(b) What has your family recently bought with this card from the ration shop?
(c) Are there any problems that they face?
(d) Why are ration shops necessary?NCERT - Economics
Read the following descriptions and answer the questions that follow:
Story of Ahmad
Ahmad is a rickshaw-puller in Bangalore. He has shifted from Jhumri Taliah along with his 3 brothers, 2 sisters and old parents. He stays in a jhuggi. The survival of all members of his family depends on his daily earnings from pulling rickshaw. However, he does not have a secured employment and his earnings fluctuate every day. During some days he gets enough earning for him to save some amount after buying all his day-to-day necessities. On other days, he barely earns enough to buy his daily necessities. However, fortunately, Ahmad has a yellow card, which is PDS Card for below poverty line people. With this card, Ahmad gets sufficient quantity of wheat, rice, sugar and kerosene oil for his daily use. He gets these essentials at half of the market price. He purchases his monthly stock during a particular day when the ration shop is opened for below poverty people. In this way, Ahmad is able to eke out his survival with less than sufficient earnings for his big family where he is the only earning member.
1. Does Ahmad have a regular income from rickshaw-pulling?
2. How does the yellow card help Ahmad run his family even with small earnings from rickshaw pulling?NCERT - Economics