Do you think that the Swadeshi Movement was a mass movement? Why?
To reduce the drain of Indian wealth, the Bengali scholars advocated that the citizens should boycott foreign goods and use only Indian goods and services. We know that this was a mass movement because:
1. Foreign goods were collected and burnt publicly, and several such bonfires were reported in the city during those days.
2. The years after 1905 saw the rise and rejuvenation of Indian industries and home-made textiles, soaps, matchboxes and insurances entered the market again.
3. It also saw the rise of Indian banks and large industry like Tata Iron and Steel Plant and Swadeshi Steam Navigation Company, which were signs of a healthy economy.
4. Numbers also show that foreign imports went down drastically in this period.
5. Women, labourers and priests participated en-masse. Notably, washer men refused to wash foreign cloth and women threw away foreign bangles and goods.
The organised nature of Swadeshi movement and economic crippling of the British were significant forces in Indian nationalism that ultimately led to freedom from foreign rule.
Rate this question :
'Kurichya rebellion was a resistance by the tribes against the British exploitation'. What were the circumstances that led to the Kurichya rebellion?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
What were the circumstances that led to the commercialization of agriculture during the British period?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
'The revenue policy of the British was the major cause for the decline of agricultural sector in India'. Examine this statement by analysing the features of the permanent settlement.Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
Collect news and pictures on peasant and tribal rebellions that took place in different parts of India during the British rule and prepare an album.Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
Prepare a magazine featuring the centres and leaders of the First War of Indian Independence in 1857.Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
Do you think that the Swadeshi Movement was a mass movement? Why?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
Evaluate the role of Drain Theory by Dadabhai Naoroji in stimulating national feeling among the Indian masses.Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
What were the sources of economic drain from India to Britain?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
Do you think that the famines in India were the creation of the British? Why?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I
What were the causes of the decline of the Indian textile industry?Kerala Board - Social Science Part I