Natural disasters like cyclones and floods can affect anybody at any time. This is truer for people living in areas that are prone to such disasters. The only way to mitigate the effects of such disasters is to be prepared. The following precautions can be taken to effectively make one and by extension their family and neighbours safe during a disaster.
1) Anchor removable objects such as lumber piles, loose tin sheets, loose bricks, garbage cans, and sign-boards, etc. which can fly in strong winds and cause loss.
2) Pack essentials for yourself and your family to last a few days. These should include medicines, special food for babies and children or elders.
3) Store dry food and water in abundance because you never know how long you will be stuck in a certain place.
4) Remove dead branches or dying trees close to the house.
5) Board any glass windows or doors with wood so that the shattered glass does not cause harm to anyone.
6) If your house is securely built on high ground take shelter in the safe part of the house. However, if asked to evacuate do not hesitate to leave the place.
7) Keep torch batteries and emergency light handy.
8) Keep listening to battery operated radio because most likely the electricity will go off on its own even if you do not switch it off. It is highly recommended to switch off the mains.
9) Switch off the gas and electrical mains if the cyclone is affecting you.
10) Stay indoors and shut all the doors and windows.
11) When asked to evacuate, move to a designated cyclone centre with the safety emergency kit.
Rate this question :