Q. 14.1( 187 Votes )
Differentiate between homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures with examples.
- The mixtures in which the substances are completely mixed together and are indistinguishable from each other are called homogeneous mixtures.
- A homogeneous mixture has a uniform composition throughout its mass.
- All the homogeneous mixtures are called solutions.
- For example, a mixture of alcohol and water is a homogeneous mixture.
(b) Heterogeneous mixture:
- A mixture which does not have a uniform composition throughout its mass.
- It has visible boundaries of separation between the various constituents.
- They consist of more than one phase.
- For example, a mixture of water and sand is a heterogeneous mixture.
Rate this question :
What is meant by (i) elements
(ii) compounds, and (iii) mixtures? Write down the names of two elements, two compounds and two mixtures.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Chemistry
What are (i) metals (ii) non-metals, and (iii) metalloids? Give two examples each of metals, non-metals and metalloids.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Chemistry
What are the favourable qualities given to gold when it is alloyed with copper or silver for the purpose of making ornaments?NCERT Science - Exemplar
You are provided with a fine white coloured powder which is either sugar or salt. How would you identify it without tasting?NCERT Science - Exemplar
Which of the following are homogeneous in nature?
(i) Ice (ii) Wood
(iii) Soil (iv) AirEvergreen - Science
A mixture of sulphur and carbon disulphide is:Evergreen - Science
Which of the following is a homogeneous mixture?Evergreen - Science
What is a mixture? Give two example of mixtures.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Chemistry
What are the three general classes of matter? Give one example of each type.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Chemistry