The teachings of Buddha and the development of Buddhist ideas and
practices by the first century CE are explained below:
1. The world is transient and constantly changing.
2. It is soulless and there is nothing permanent in it.
3. Human existence is intrinsic to sorrow.
4. People must follow the path of moderation between severe penance and self intelligence.
5. He advised the kings to be ethical and humane in their proceedings.
6. He expected every individual to put in some efforts to transform social relations.
7. He considered the social world as the creation of humans rather than of the divinity.
8. He advised extinguishing ego in our hearts to bring an end to the cycle of suffering.
9. He said there is only one way to escape rebirth and attain self-realization and Nirvana which is good action by the individual.
10. He formed the Sangha which was an organisation of monks who became teachers of the Dhamma.
11. They lived on Alms and were called bhikkus and bhikkunis.
The magnificent features of the sculpture of Sanchi Stupa are explained below:
1. Stupas are considered to be sacred because they contained the relics of Buddha such as his body remains or the objects used by him.
2. According to the Buddhist text, the Ashok Vadan Ashoka distributed buddha relics to every town and ordered the construction of stupas over them.
3. It originated as a simple semi-circular Mount of earth called anda.
4. It became a more complex structure balancing round and square shapes.
5. It also has a balcony like structure called the Harmika.
6. Arising from it was a mast called Yashti after being surmounted by an umbrella.
7. The Mount was surrounded by a railing which separated the sacred space from the world.
8. The stupas of Sanchi and Bharhut were plain except for the stone railings.
9. The four Cardinal Points had a wooden fence and richly carved gateways installed.
10. It also had some animal motives of elephants and horses.
11. The serpent motif is also found in many pillars.
Rate this question :