Describe the main features of Gentleman’s Agreement. How did this become a point of distrust between the regions?
The leaders of both sides - Telangana and Andhra met in Delhi and formed the Gentleman's agreement on 20 February 1956. They agreed on 14 points — this implied merger of the two States through conditional and subject to the satisfaction of Telangana people.
The most important points were:
1. The expenditure on the administration was to be borne by both the regions proportionately. The revenue from Telangana would be spent only for the development of Telangana.
2. The existing educational institutions in Telangana would be reserved for the students from that region only.
3. Regional Council was set up consisting of 20 members from the Legislative Assembly to oversee the needs and development in Telangana
4. It also controlled the sale of agricultural land in Telangana.
5. The Andhra Pradesh ministry will consist of 60% members from Andhra and 40% members from Telangana
6. Only those with a minimum of 12 years of residence in Telangana were eligible for securing job and admission to educational institutions in Telangana
7. If the Chief Minister was from Andhra, the deputy Minister would be from Telangana and vice versa.
Rate this question :
How do you evaluate the various modes of mobilisation methods used in Telangana state formation.Telangana Board - Social Science
Describe the different roles taken up by JACs and Political parties in the formation of Telangana you think JACs created platform across political ideologies?Telangana Board - Social Science
What arguments were put forward by people who wanted the two regions to be united?Telangana Board - Social Science
Locate the following in the map of Telangana.
Mahabubnagar ii) Khammam iii) Nizamabad iv) Adilabad v) Nalgonda vi) Mahaboobabad vii) Nirmal viii) JogulambaTelangana Board - Social Science
Based on the experiences of people’s aspiration in Telangana what measures of safeguards take to ensure that all sections of people living in the region feel respected?Telangana Board - Social Science
Describe the main features of Gentleman’s Agreement. How did this become a point of distrust between the regions?Telangana Board - Social Science
“Diversity of people living in Telangana has historical, social and cultural context.”
Justify the statement based on arguments given in the chapter.Telangana Board - Social Science
How did the disparity of growth between urban areas and agriculture create a conflict of interest in expectations from the government?Telangana Board - Social Science
What have been the differences in access to water, agriculture, education, and employment in the two regions?Telangana Board - Social Science