Describe the ITDP
The process of development of tribal area of Bharmaur situated in Himachal Pradesh started in the 1970s when ‘Gaddis’ people belonging to a tribal community residing in that area were included among ‘scheduled tribes’.
• During the Fifth Five Year Plan, the tribal sub-plan wasintroduced by the government, in 1974 and Bharmaur wasdesignated as one of the five Integrated TribalDevelopment Projects (ITDP) in HimachalPradesh.
• This area’s development plan targeted at improving the quality of life of the ‘Gaddis’ and narrowing the gap in the level ofdevelopment between Bharmaur and otherareas of Himachal Pradesh.
• This plan had given thehighest priority on the development of agriculture and allied activities, transport and communications, and upon social and community services.
• Some of the significant contributions of the tribal sub-plan in Bharmaur region were the development of infrastructural facilitiesschools, potable water, healthcarefacilities roads, electricity and communications.
Some of the social benefits of ITDP generated in the Bharmaur tribal region are mentioned as follows:
• Marked increase in literacy rate in this region. The female literacy rate was seen to rise from 1.88 percent in 1971 to 65 percent in 2011.
• Increase in the sex ratio in this area. Sex ratio is the ratio of males to females present in a particular region.
• Decline in child marriage.
Thus the ITDP was really helpful in bringing a massive development in the tribal areas of Himachal Pradesh.
Rate this question :