Q. 45.0( 2 Votes )
Describe the contribution of Shivaji in the rise of Marathas.
The Marathas emerged as a strong political power under the efficient leadership of Chhatrapati Shivaji. the Marathas kept long-drawn rivalry with the Mughals in the 17th and the first half of the 18th centuries.
• Since the early 17th century, the Marathas emerged as new political elite by joining the service of Ahmadnagar, Bijapur and Golkonda courts in the Deccan.
• Marathas earned the titles of Raja, Naik, and Rana
• The Mughal rulers Jahangir and Shahjahan realized the importance of the Maratha chieftains of Deccan
• Shivaji acted as the representative of the popular Maratha Dharma against the Mughal penetration into Maharashtra.
• Shivaji was also a talented administrator as well as a builder of the independent kingdom by bringing together different elements.
• Shivaji was the founder of the Maratha state.
• The Maratha polity was basically a centralized autocratic system but an enlightened monarchy.
• Shivaji divided the kingdom hierarchically into ‘mauzas’, ‘tarafs’ and ‘prants’ for administrative effectiveness and convenience.
• Mauza was the lowest unit of administrative structure.
• Shivaji had taken steps not to have caste group domination in the bureaucratic set-up
• Shivaji was trained in guerilla and hilly warfare.
• Shivaji was not a leader and creator of new administrative ideas
• Shivaji was followed by his son Sambhaji who ruled from 1680 to 1689, and he was followed by his brother Rajaram, who ruled from 1689 to 1700.
The Marathas worked very effectively and efficiently as long as Shivaji carried on and the decline was set in after his death. All these years the unfriendliness with the Mughals continued and in spite of his best efforts no other forces could win over them.
Rate this question :
When was world famous Haldighati battle fought?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Write an essay on ‘Battle of Haldhighati’.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Who had translated Babarnama in Persian?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Give a brief introduction of Vijay Nagar Empire.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Where did Hammir Chauhan rule?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Describe the contribution of Shivaji in the rise of Marathas.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Who was the founder of the Bahmani Empire?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Name the ruler who built ‘Grand Trunk Road’.Rajasthan Board Social Science
With a brief introduction of Guru Nanak Dev, describe the important teachings of Sikh religion.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Write five policies of Mohammad Tughlaq.Rajasthan Board Social Science