During 1975 there was political agitation and noncongress leaders organized massive demonstration demanding for Indira Gandhi’s resignation.
The government declared that there was the threat of internal disturbances and hence invoked Article 352 i.e. a state of emergency.
1. Navnirma Andolan in Gujrat: The agitation was against the hike in fees of schools and college. During this time Gujrat was under Congress leadership and the government was held for corruption.in turn the assembly got suspended and president rule was imposed in the state.
2. JP movement: A student protest erupted in Bihar headed by freedom fighter jayprakash Narayan. The movement played a significant role in declaring the election.
3. Raj Narain verdict: a petition was filed in the Allahabad High Court by socialist leader Raj Narain. The petition accused the prime minister of having won the elections through corrupt practices.
During the 1971 general election, the non-opposition and noncongress had one common intention of “Indira Hatao”(Remove Indira Gandhi). In contrast to this Indira Gandhi launched “Garibi Hatao”(Remove Poverty) programme.
a. Indira Gandhi launched Twenty point programme, that included :
1. Eradicate rural poverty,
2. Better use of irrigation water.
3. Special programme for rural labor.
4. Health for all.
b. Nationalization banks: This was done to bring rural India under the ambit of banking.
c. Abolition of Privy Purse: This was the grant given to rulers and their families in heredity. Indira Gandhi abolished the rule as it was violating the principle of equality, social and economic justice.
Rate this question :