The features of urban settlements in India are listed below:
1. Urban settlements are compact and large in size generally.
2. People in the urban areas perform several non-agricultural activities in their daily lives.
3. Urban areas are related with rural areas and interdependent also.
4. The life in urban areas is fast and complex compared to rural areas. People usually have formal relations in cities.
5. Urban settlements are nodes of economic growth and also links for reaching out to rural areas.
The clustered rural settlements have their own features different from other types of rural settlements that are as follows:
1. Clustered rural settlements are closely built areas with houses formed in a cluster. Sometimes these settlements build a geometric pattern.
2. The areas where people dwell are different from the farm place.
3. Such settlements are usually found in the north-eastern states with fertile alluvial plains.
4. Clustered settlements are formed for security and defence reasons also so that people live close to each other.
5. In states like Rajasthan, people live in close clusters to combat the problem of water scarcity so that maximum water can be used.
Rate this question :
Choose the rightNCERT - India-People And Economy