The significant points related to the Panama Shipping canals are as follows:
1. The Panama Canal connects the Atlantic Ocean in the East to the Pacific Ocean in the West.
2. It was constructed by the U.S. government across Panama Isthmus between the cities of Panama and Colon. The area of 8km was purchased by the government and named the Canal Zone.
3. The length of this canal is 72 km and requires very deep cutting for a length of 12 km. Before entering the Gulf of Panama, the ships cross 6 different lock levels which are 26m up and down.
4. This canal is very useful as it shortens the distance between New York and San Francisco by 13 thousand km by sea. It also shortens the distance between the Western Europe and the west coast of USA, North Eastern and Central USA and East and South East Asia.
5. The Panama Canal is economically significant for Latin America.
Rate this question :