Five functions of political parties:
1. Contesting elections: In most elections around the world, parties put up candidates who compete in the elections. Different countries have a different way of selecting candidates like in India, top leaders choose.
2. Making policies and programmes: Parties make and support policies and programmes according to the various opinions and interests of people. The government usually follows the programmes of the ruling party.
3. Making Laws: The legislature debate and make the laws. Most of the members would belong to a party so they adhere to the party’s decisions and not personal ones usually.
4. Forming governments: The big decisions are taken by the political executives who are chosen and are part of the winning party. Hence, they form and run the government.
5. Role of opposition: Those who lose the elections become the opposition and they question and criticise the policies of the government. They represent different views and keep the ruling party in check.
Explanation: Political parties play a very major role in democracy. The decisions taken by parties eventually influence the running of the government and representation of people’s interest.
Rate this question :