Q. 135.0( 2 Votes )
Describe any five
The ‘Go East Movement’ of the early twentieth century:
1. In 1907-08, about 300 Vietnamese students went to Japan for modern studies. They wanted foreign help as well as arms.
2. Most of these nationalists aspired to oust French from Vietnam, remove the puppet emperor and bring back the Nguyen dynasty. They expected Japanese support as fellow Asians.
3. Japan was looked up to because it resisted western colonisation by modernizing itself and even defeated Russia through its military power.
4. Vietnamese students opened a branch of the Restoration Society in Tokyo but Japanese Ministry of Interior closed it in 1908.
5. Most of the students including Phan Boi Chau had to seek exile in China and Thailand because they were deported.
Explanation: Vietnamese wanted to remove the colonial power and they looked for inspiration from Japan too. This was the go east movement that tried to get help from Japan’s powers.
Rate this question :