National Highways are the network of roads which connect important state capitals, cities, major industrial areas etc.,
The following are the characteristics of National Highways of India:
1. The National Highways help in interstate transport.
2. These National Highways are constructed and maintained by the Central Government.
3. National Highway Authority of India is responsible for the maintenance and development of the National Highways.
4. National Highways constitute nearly forty per cent of the total road traffic and 1.7% of the total road length.
5. These National Highways help in movement of defence personnel in all states and cities.
6. It helps in the quick movement of men and material between different state capitals, cities and ports.
Thus, National Highways form the backbone of road transport in India.
Rate this question :