“Democratic citizenship is a project rather than an accomplished fact even in countries like India which grant equal citizenship”. Some of the issues regarding citizenship being raised in India today are:
1. Considering the case of India, we are privileged to enjoy many political, social and economical rights which are ensured to each and every citizen of that state. But it does not always prove to be a complete and positive translation on grounds.
2. The major factor which prevents the citizens to access and enjoy their basic rights is the Socio-economic inequality which strongly impacts the country. The discrimination on the basis of caste, class, gender and language is still practiced rather than being the complete constitutional accomplishment.
3. Indian Citizens have right to move freely within the territory of the state and to work. They have a right to life and to enjoy basic life amenities to lead a healthy, respectful and prosperous life.
4. Migrants are not provided with these political and social rights as they are not the citizens of the country thus, not able to enjoy the rights and privileges fully.
5. Women, children or the scheduled caste and tribe people are not able to enjoy their constitutional rights and remedies due to lack of knowledge and awareness despite having fundamental rights, constitutional provisions and legal remedies in the Indian constitution of democratic India.
6. Many refugees from Bangladesh or Tibet or other countries that migrated to India remain stateless and are compelled to live in the camps or as illegal migrants. Only few of these refuges are given the citizenship of the country.
There can be lots of interpretations, facts and points which supports the fact that democratic citizenship is still a project and a far cry till it achieves its goals both at lower and higher level to completely accomplish it.
Rate this question :