Define Fiscal Deficit and revenue deficit.
a. Revenue deficit:
● Revenue deficit is the excess of total revenue expenditure of the government over its total revenue receipt.
● Revenue deficit = expenditure minus total revenue receipt.
● It indicates the dissaving of the government because the government has to make up for the uncovered gap.
● It is done by using the capital receipts either by borrowing or through selling its assets.
● The government usually uses its capital receipt to meet the consumption expenditure which leads to an inflationary situation in the economy.
● The two measures to reduce revenue deficit are:
i. The government should reduce all its unproductive expenditure.
ii. The government should increase its revenue from various tax and nontax revenue sources.
b. Fiscal deficit:
● The fiscal deficit is the excess of total expenditure over total receipt of the government excluding borrowing.
● It indicates the capacity of the government to borrow in accordance with what it produces.
● It is also an indicator of the extent of the government's dependence on borrowing to meet its expenditure requirements.
● This increases the liability of the government to repay the loan along with the interest which leads to an increase in the revenue deficit.
● The government borrows either from the central bank or from the governments of the other country.
● This leads to an increased dependence on others.
● Borrowing from foreign countries leads to economic and political interference which increases the economic slavery of the government.
● The government not only has to pay the loans but they also have to pay the amount in interest which increases the financial burden.
● The payment of the interest increases the revenue expenditure of the government which leads to an increase in the revenue deficit. This vicious circle is called a debt trap.
Rate this question :
If real income to be 400 crores and price index to be 105, calculate nominal income.Economics - Board Papers
What are capital receipts in a government budget?Economics - Board Papers
What are revenue receipts in a government budget?Economics - Board Papers