Q. 25.0( 3 Votes )
Construct and exhibit Bohr models of various atoms using different materials viz. beads, seeds, etc.
We can construct to exhibit the Bohr models of various atoms using beads or seeds and perform this as a class learning activity to understand the underlying principles more clearly.
To perform the activity we need to first arrange some items as follows: -
1. Coloured beads or seeds of different colours. If using coloured bead choose three different colours as white, blue and grey. The quantity of the bead required should be as per requirement.
2. Threads (to be distributed as per requirement of length).
3. Pipe cleaners
4. Periodic table.
We would build the model of a Boron atom. A Boron atom has 5 electrons, 5 neutrons and 5 protons.
Before starting construction it should be assumed that the blue beads are the electrons, the grey ones the protons and the white ones are the neutrons.
1. Take a pipe cleaner and insert two blue beads into it to represent the 2 electrons in the inner shell and then tie the two ends of the cleaner with a thread.
2. Take another pipe cleaner and insert three blue beads into it to represent the 3 electrons in the outer shell and then again tie the two ends of the cleaner with a thread.
3. Attach five white beads and 5 grey beads as a bunch with the help of a thread and knot them as shown in the following figure and thus completing the construction of the Boron atom model.
Construct the models for other atoms as well by referring to the periodic table.
Rate this question :
Construct and exhibit Bohr models of various atoms using different materials viz. beads, seeds, etc.Kerala Board Chemistry Part I
Prepare a science magazine including photos, profiles and contributions of philosophers and scientists related to the history of atoms.Kerala Board Chemistry Part I