Consider the reaction of water with F2 and suggest, in terms of oxidation and reduction, which species are oxidised/reduced.
1. The reaction of fluorine with water can be represented as given below:
2Fe2(g) + 2H2O(l)→ 4H+(aq) + O2(g)
2. The above reaction is an example of redox reaction in which water is being oxidized and fluorine is being reduced.
3. The oxidation numbers of various species can be represented as:
4. Fluorine is reduced from zero to (–1) oxidation state. A decrease in oxidation state indicates the reduction of fluorine.
5. Water is oxidized from (- 2) to zero oxidation state. An increase in oxidation state indicates oxidation of water.
Rate this question :