1. Sri Lanka is a neighboring country of India in Asia. Belgium is a small country in Europe.
2. The population of Sri Lanka consists of 74% of Sinhalese and 18% of Tamils. The ethnic composition of Belgium is 59% of the Dutch living in the Flemish region and 40% French living in the Wallonia region. One Percent consists of the Germans.
3. The majority community ruled over Sri Lanka according to its own wishes with complete disregard of the needs of the minority. This was done by the act of 1956. All the major University positions were to be reserved for Sinhalese and the official language and religion of Sinhalese was to be promoted. This led to the Civil war in the country.
3. The minority in Belgium was of Dutch. They received the economic benefits very late as compared to the French who were in the majority. These created problems but the leaders reached an arrangement after amending the constitution four times which led to the elimination of civil war. They created central, state, community and capital government.
1. The idea of power-sharing emerged in opposition to the idea that all the power should remain concentrated in the hands of one or few so that decisions can be taken quickly.
2. This idea changed with the coming of democracy. It was considered better to share power with as many people as possible to prevent its misuse.
3. Horizontal division of power is shared among the different organs of the government like legislator, executive, and judiciary.
4. Vertical division of power is shared among the government at different levels of the government- general government for the entire country and government at the regional level.
5. The distribution of power is also existing among different social groups such as the religious and linguistic groups.
6. Power is also distributed among different political parties compression and movements.
Rate this question :
Compare the situaSocial Science - Board Papers