NEET Physics Chapter Wise Weightage 2020
NEET 2020 exam is expected to take place on September 13, 2020. Physics could be the most difficult section among all. Students must know the Physics chapter-wise weightage for NEET 2020 to prepare smartly beforehand.
Today, we will be giving an overview of Physics chapter wise weightage for NEET Exam. The Physics Section carries a weightage of 25% ie 45 questions from 180 questions will be from Physics. Physics is generally considered the toughest of all the 3 subjects. Keeping this in mind, we analyzed the question papers of the previous 3 years to get a weight-age, backed by data. In the previous two articles, we discussed chapter wise weightage for NEET Biology & Chemistry.
Unit-wise weightage of NEET Physics
We have divided all the chapters of Physics into 5 units as given below:
- Mechanics (Class XI)
- Heat & Thermodynamics (Class XI)
- Electrostatics & Magnetism (Class XII)
- Current Electricity & EMI (Class XII)
- Optics & Modern Physics (Class XII)
The weightage of these units is given below:
|UNIT||Previous 3 year Analysis|
|Heat & Thermodynamics||12.67|
|Electrostatics and Magnetism||16.22|
|Current Electricity & EMI||14.67|
|Optics & Modern Physics||18.89|
So as we can see, the highest weightage is that of Mechanics. Of course, this includes all the questions of Electrostatics which requires the knowledge of laws of motion or kinematics, which would actually take the weightage higher. So focus a lot on the mechanics part of class 11th for a clear understanding of the entire physics. Let's take a look at the chapter-wise weight in each of the units included in NEET Syllabus.
NEET Physics Chapter-wise weightage in Mechanics
Mechanics consist of the first 9 chapters of class XI from units & dimensions to Oscillations & waves. Check chapter-wise weight (the values given in each pie are the chapter-wise weight percentage out of total Physics marks) here. Mechanics is by far the most important unit of all and also include the most important chapters. It carries a maximum weightage of 37.6%. Among all the chapters, System of Particles and Rotational Motion carries the maximum weightage of 23.1%. Waves are the second most important chapter next to it. It carries a weightage of 18.3%.
Kinematics stand third with 13% weightage. Some important topics include Linear Momentum of a System of Particles, Moment of Inertia and Theorem of Parallel and Perpendicular Axes & Kinematics and Dynamics of Rotational Motion from System of Particles and Rotational Motion. Projectile Motion & Uniform Circular Motion are important topics from Kinematics.
|Units & Dimensions||7.77|
|Laws of Motion||7.1|
|Work, Energy & Power||7.7|
|System of Particle and Rotational Motion||23.1|
|Mechanics of Solids & Fluids||10.1|
The most important topics here are:
- Dimensional and error analysis
- Equations of motion
- Relative motion
- Projectile & circular motion
- Mechanics of common forces
- Conservation of momentum & energy, and collisions
- Potential energy of a spring
- Moment of inertia and dynamics of rotational motion
- Kepler's laws
- Acceleration due to gravity
- Simple Harmonic Motion
- Transverse & Longitudinal waves: superposition and reflection
- Standing waves & Beats, Doppler effect
- Pascal's law, Bernoulli's principle, viscosity & Reynolds' number
NEET Physics: Chapter-wise weight in Heat & Thermodynamics
Heat & Thermodynamics consists of the rest of the chapters of class 12th as given below. Every year, at least 3 questions are asked from this part. Heat & Thermodynamics Unit carries a weightage of 12.7%.
Thermodynamics is important of all and carries a weightage of 63.2%. Some of the important topics include First Law of Thermodynamics and Heat Capacity, Thermodynamic State Variables, Equation of State and Thermodynamic Processes, Specific Heat Capacity and Calorimetry and Law of Equipartition of Energy, Specific Heat Capacity and Mean Free Path. Check out the chapter-wise weight below:
|Kinetic Theory of Gases||3.5|
The most important topics in this unit are:
- Temperature and Thermal Expansion
- Specific Heat Capacity and Calorimetry
- Heat Transfer
- Newton's Law of Cooling
- First Law of Thermodynamics and Heat Capacity
- Thermodynamic State Variables, Equation of State and Thermodynamic Processes
- Heat engines, refrigerators, and Heat Pumps
- Second Law of Thermodynamics
- Reversible and Irreversible Processes and Carnot Engine
- Law of Equipartition of Energy, Specific Heat Capacity and Mean Free Path
NEET Physics Chapter-wise weight in Electrostatics & Magnetism
The first book of class XII consists of 8 chapters which are all inter-related. We have tried to broadly classify them into 2 Units, the first of which is Electrostatics & Magnetism.
Let's take a look at the chapter-wise weight in this case: Electrostatics and Magnetism carry a weightage of 16.2%. In this Section, Electrostatic Potential and Capacitance carries a weight-age of around 35.6%. It is then followed by Moving charges and Magnetism which carries a weigthtage of around 31.5%. Some very important topics from which the maximum number of numerals are expected for this year too are covered in this unit.
Electrostatic Potential and Work done, Potential Energy in an external Field, Motion in Electric and Magnetic Fields and Cyclotrons and Torque on Current Loop and Magnetic Dipole are some of the most important topics from Physics Section.
|Electric Charges & Fields||23.3|
|Electric Potential & Capacitance||35.6|
|Moving Charges & Magnetism||31.5|
|Magnetism & Matter||2.7|
|Electromagnetic Waves & Communication Systems||6.8|
The most important topics are:
- Electric Charge and Coulomb's Law
- Electric Field, Field Lines, and Flux
- Continuous Charge Distribution and Gauss's Law
- Electrostatic Potential and Work done
- Potential Energy in an External Field
- Electrostatics of Conductors and Dielectrics
- Capacitance and Capacitors
- Motion in Electric and Magnetic Fields and Cyclotrons
- Biot-Savart Law
- Ampere's Circuital Law
- Force Between Two Parallel Currents
- Torque on Current Loop and Magnetic Dipole
- Bar magnet and Magnetic Field lines
- The Earth's Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Waves and Spectrum
- Bandwidth & modulation of Signals in communication systems
NEET Physics Chapter-wise weight Current Electricity and EMI
In this unit, we cover the rest of the chapters of the first book. It has a higher weightage than the previous unit, even though we spend more time on the concepts of the previous unit. Let's take a look at the chapter-wise weight and now you know what to focus on. Current Electricity and EMI carries a weightage of 14.7%. This includes very important topics like Electric current and Ohm's law, Electrical Energy and Power from Current Electricity which carries a weightage around 27.3%. However, a maximum number of questions were asked from Semiconductor electronics and communication systems. Nearly 50 % of the questions asked were from this unit.
Types of Semiconductors and Semiconductor Devices: Junction Diodes and Transistors and Applications of transistors: Switches, Amplifiers and Oscillators are some important topics from this unit.
The most important topics are:
- Electric Current and Ohm's law
- Drift of Electrons and resistivity
- Electrical Energy and Power
- Cells, Emf, Internal Resistance
- Combination of resistors and cells and Kirchhoff's Laws
- Wheatstone Bridge, Meter Bridge, and Potentiometer
- Magnetic Flux and Faraday's Law of Induction
- Motional EMF and Eddy currents
- Inductance and AC generator
- AC voltage applied to LR, CR and LCR circuit
- Power in AC circuit
- Types of Semiconductors and Semiconductor devices: Junction Diodes and transistors
- Circuit Configurations and transistor Characteristics
- Applications of transistors: Switches, Amplifiers and Oscillators
- Logic gates and IC
NEET 2019 Chapter-wise Weight of Optics & Modern Physics
This is the final unit and by the time you reach this you are exhausted and just want to finish the NEET Physics syllabus. However, if you went through the first graph, you would know that it has a huge weightage. Now, not to mention, this is perhaps the easiest unit to take care of considering all the questions asked here are completely formula based. This unit carries a weightage of 18.9%. The maximum number of questions were expected from the unit Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter, accordingly, this unit carries the maximum weightage of 35.3%. It is then followed by next important unit ie Wave optics which carries a weightage of around 29.4%.
The concept of Refraction and Total Internal Reflection, Refraction at Spherical Surfaces and by lenses are some of the important topics from the unit Ray Optics which carries a weightage of 27.1%. Let's check out the chapter-wise weight of this unit.
|Dual Nature of Radiation||35.3|
|Atoms & Nuclei||8.2|
The most important topics are:
- Concept of refraction & total internal reflection
- Refraction at spherical surfaces and by lenses
- Power of a lens
- Refraction by Prism & dispersion
- Optical Devices
- Young's double slit experiment & Interference
- Diffraction & resolving power of Optical instruments
- Mass-Energy relationship and Nuclear Binding Energy
- Photoelectric Effect
- De-Broglie relationship
Important Note: This article is written after by exhaustive research & analysis of the past three year Papers. The weightage of the individual unit may differ for each year Paper.
To know the best books for the preparation of NEET and all other Medical entrance exams, click on the link below:
All the Best!