Q. 195.0( 6 Votes )
Analyse the role of chemical industries in the Indian economy. (CBSE 2017)
1. The Chemical Industry in India is fast growing and diversifying, contributing approximately 3 per cent of the GDP. It is one of the third largest industries in Asia and occupies the twelfth place in the world in terms of its size.
2. The Chemical industry comprises of both large and small-scale manufacturing units and rapid growth rates have been recorded in both organic and inorganic sectors.
3. The inorganic chemicals including sulphuric acid, nitric acid, alkalies etc. are used to manufacture fertilizers, adhesives, plastic, detergents, soaps, caustic soda etc. These industries are widely spread across the entire subcontinent.
4. The organic chemicals include petrochemicals, which are used for manufacturing synthetic fibers, synthetic rubber, plastics, dye-stuffs, drugs, and pharmaceuticals. Such organic chemical plants are located near various oil refineries or petrochemical plants.
5. The chemical industry in India is its own largest consumer. The basic chemicals undergo processing to produce chemicals which are of great importance to industrial application, agriculture or directly for the consumer market.
NOTE - Chemicals are amongst the basic units of processing for a variety of other processes that take place in different industries of India. As a base, the chemical industry has a wide-ranging role in providing the essential chemicals needed for the development of many other industries. For example – the use of fertilizers in agriculture.
Rate this question :
“The economic strength of a country is measured by the development of manufacturing industries”. Elaborate the statement.Together With Social Science
Which is the criterion used to measure the strength of a country?Together With Social Science
“The economic strength of a country is measured by the development of manufacturing industries.” Support the statement with arguments.Social Science - Board Papers
“Agriculture and industry move hand in hand.” Analyze the statement with three examples.Social Science - Board Papers