The two superpowers, US and USSR were tempted to seek allies with the smaller states because:
• They needed to strengthen their support. These small countries together could have formed the majority.
• These small states often had enormous natural resources. Forming allies with small states meant that they can access these resources. It also boosted its economy.
• Allies with smaller states also enabled them to use their land for farming bases and grounds for military activities.
• Allies with small states proved it beneficial for them for better espionage activities.
Four factors which led to the disintegration of USSR in 1991 are:
• Many countries in USSR started a protest against the socialist form of government.
• Many communist leaders opposed the reforms initiated by Gorbachev and encouraged a coup in 1991.
• Boris Yeltsin and the pluralist movement protested against the coup and called for the creation of separate republican nations.
• The Republics which emerged to be powerful disbanded USSR rule and there was a power shift.
Rate this question :