Q. 14.6( 19 Votes )
To determine the focal length of a convex lens by obtaining the image of a distant object.
A convex lens, a lens holder, a white screen such as a wall or white painted board, meter scale, distant object.
THEORY1. A ray of light passing through the first principal focus or appearing to meet at it emerges parallel to the principal axis after refraction.
2. Convex lens converges the incident parallel beam of light on the other side of the lens.
3. T image formed by the convex lens may be real or virtual, inverted or erect, diminished, the same size or magnified depending on the various positions of the object.
4. Focal length for the convex lens is positive while it is negative for the concave lens.
5. The lens behaves like a plane glass plate when it is kept in a medium whose refractive index is equal to that of the lens.
1. Choose any distant object like a tree or the sun as an object for the experiment.
2. Held the lens vertically inside a lens holder and lens must be kept in vertical position during the experiment.
3. Place a screen on the other side of the lens.
4. Obtain the image of tree/building on a white screen or wall. Move the lens to get a sharp image.
5. Using a meter scale, measure the distance from the lens to the screen.
6. Repeat this procedure by changing the object.
OBSERVATION AND CALCULATION
Mean value of the focal length = 13.25 cm
The approximate focal length of a convex lens = 13.25 cm.
1. The lens should be kept vertical inside the lens holder.
2. While measuring the distance, the distance between the sharp image and the centre of the lens is to be measured.
3. The lens the screen must be at the same level.
Rate this question :
An object is placed at a distance of 30cm from a concave lens of focal length 15cm. List four characteristics (Nature, position. Etc.) of the image formed by the lens.Xam idea - Science
What is meant by?
(i) principal focus of a convex mirror, and
(ii) Focal length of a convex mirror?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics
Define principal focus and axis?Science Lab Manual
A student wants to project the image of a candle flame on a screen 48 cm in front of a mirror by keeping the flame at a distance of 12 cm from its pole.
(a) Suggest the type of mirror he should use.
(b) Find the linear magnification of the image produced.
(c) How far is the image from its object?
(d) Draw ray diagram to show the image formation in this case.Science - Board Papers
Draw a ray diagram to show the path of the reflected ray corresponding to an incident ray which is directed parallel to the principal axis of a convex mirror. Mark on it the angle of reflection.Science - Board Papers
If the focal length of a convex mirror is 28 cm, what is its radius of curvature?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics
In a convex spherical mirror, reflection of light takes place at:Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics
Out of convex mirror and concave mirror, whose focus is situated behind the mirror?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics
The focal length of a spherical mirror of radius of curvature 38 cm is:Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics
A communications satellite in orbit sends a parallel beam of signals down to earth. If these signals obey the same laws of reflection as light and are to be focused onto a small receiving aerial, what should be the best shape of the metal 'dish' used to collect them?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Physics